Feedback Thoughts

The first article I read was about why it is so hard to hear negative feedback. This discusses how, as humans, we absolutely hate receiving negative feedback and do our best to avoid it. We are also bad at delivering negative feedback. To overcome this, we should trust that people are trying to help us with their feedback rather than mock us. I need to work on improving my reception to negative feedback. I need to remember that I can use it as a learning tool to improve my work.

The second article I read was about silencing the critical voices in your head.  It discusses how we react to negative thoughts, like thoughts that we aren't good or qualified enough. I am very guilty of this, and I sometimes let this hold me back from trying new things. It is important to not over magnify negative criticisms when there are a ton of positive feedback to look at as well. I need to work on looking for the positive and believing it as if it were true, because it likely is true.

My most productive feedback experience was honestly in the Indian Epics class last semester. My worst was when I did poorly on a test that I thought I understood well. In other aspects of life, I do best with receiving specific tips to improve what I am doing.


Comments

  1. I was really happy with how the feedback went last Fall, Andy: I added in two more weeks of feedback practice, and I think that really helped with people feeling more confident both in giving and receiving feedback. And the same goes for me: if you have tips or suggestions to help me do a better job with that part of the class, let me know! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts