Growth Mindset: Beyond School

In my life, I see myself doing the best job of applying my growth mindset skills in the gym or during exercise. This is a great place to use growth mindset. You might not be exactly where you want to be, but this is a great place and activity for goal setting and doing a bit each day to improve. Eventually, you can see yourself meeting the goals that you set out for yourself. For example, if there is a certain time that I want to run a mile in, then I recognize that I am not there yet and set goals for improving. I do not approach it with the fixed attitude that I was born with an innate ability and I will never be able to get that time. The gym is about improving. It shows tangible proof that you are improving. As a result, it is an easy place to employ growth mindset. Seeing myself achieve results helps me translate growth mindset to school work as I have proof that I am capable of finding and achieving growth if I set goals and put forth effort into attaining those goals.



Comments

  1. Hey, Andy!

    I completely agree with you -- fitness is a fantastic place to implement some of those growth mindset principles we talked about in class. After all, no one expects to show up to the gym for the first time and lift 400 lbs, so why do we expect to do something similar when it comes to academics? Slow and steady progression wins the race in the long run!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts